Re-conceptualizing shopping malls through deep retrofitting
The main idea of CommONEnergy is to shift from single-action refurbishments to deep – energy performing - retrofitting.
The basis for doing this is a systemic approach involving technology solution sets and innovative methods and tools:
- Integrated design process guidelines,
- An integrative modelling environment,
- Energy-economic evaluation tools,
- Lean construction and management procedures,
- A continuous commissioning approach and
- An environmental and sociocultural impact assessment.
The Systemic Retrofitting Approach (SRA) allows for achieving ambitious targets:
- Up to factor 4 reduction of energy demand,
- Power peaks shaving and
- 50% increasing share of renewable energy source favored by intelligent energy management and effective storage.
10 to 20 systemic solution-sets will be developed to allow for a wide replication of the demonstration cases.
The energy performances will be achieved with short pay-back times (below 7 years) and high indoor environmental quality, thanks to industrial conceptualization of the solutions and implementation tools.
Technical workshops will contribute to training skilled practitioners and to produce a domino effect maximizing the project benefits.
In addition, we intend to share the project benefits with a broad audience, and thereby hope to create awareness for the importance of a more sustainable consumer behavior.